Wednesday 31 December 2014

Star Trek Space Ship Set - AMT 1/1600 Scale - Update #3 and FINAL REVEAL

Greetings and Happy New Years!!

This will be my last post of 2014 (for obvious reasons)...

So I will get to the point, here is this little set completed.  I am really pleased with how each little ship (each one under 7" long!!) turned out.  The most complicated ship out of this set to finish was the Klingon D7 Battlecruiser.  I had to basically re-sculpt the 'head' and warp engines.  I was tempted to re-sculpt the 'shuttle bay' (originally the impulse engines Star Trek The Motion Picture redesigned that section to be a shuttle bay with the engines below - I generally prefer this version of the ship but the original design with the forward vent makes some sense if it's a big engine.) but didn't as I wanted  to keep some integrity to this kit (and I will be doing that later on with my Klingon diorama).



Since there was no way to accurize this model (everything is basically wrong - wing shape, leading edge of the main hull, proportions, etc.) I decided to keep it like the original release of the model, including making a rub transfer of where the original windows were and made decals out of them.  The rest of the decals are a copy from the larger newer kit as the original decals disintegrated when I tired to use them.



Compare this to this shot...


...with this one (minus the battle damage).  This is a screen capture I found online from Star Trek: The Doomsday Machine.  I don't normally post screen captures or repost for that matter but I do this under 'fair use' and 'educational demonstration'.














As opposed to using the Round 2 decals as a guide to make accurate markings, I used David Shaw's decal sheet from one of the model building forums to reproduce the window locations on the actual 18" AMT model, which was used in Star Trek The Doomsday Machine original series second season episode.






(I purposely took this to be reminiscent of the 2nd shot from "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" where 3 Klingon battle cruisers (K'Tinga - essentially a greebled Klingon D7 with a different paint scheme but same proportions) engage 'the cloud', aka Vejur/V'Ger.)



















I hope you enjoyed this build.  I will continue with the 'NX Sisters' build of Columbia & Challenger but I'm also prepping to for another 1/1000 build (the Defiant is on the back-burners for now), a 1/1000 USS Brattain (as seen in Star Trek TNG: Night Terrors - a redress of the USS Reliant) and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A refit!  (I've been wanting to do one again since my other refit fell off a shelf and broke).  Unique to this build, I will be lighting as much as I can, including windows!  It's going to be tricky but I'm recalling excited about it.  It will also be the first time I will be using brass etched parts!

Happy Holidays to my readers and friends!  Wishing you and yours all the best and a Happy New Year, cheers!!

Fordo

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! I hope AMT re-releases this kit as it was one of my favorite Star Trek kits of all time.

    The only thing I would say on your U.S.S. Constellation is to shorten the length of the main deflector dish post to bring it closer to the body.

    Love the silver on your Romulan BOP!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the previous comment, the dish is a bit out too far. Constellation looks damn nice! Don't agree with the green tint of the Klingon ship, but it is a nice touch. TC

    ReplyDelete