Tuesday 3 December 2013

Hobbycraft's 1:72 scale Avro Arrow: Update #5

Greetings.  This is going to be a shorter update as right now I'm at the stage of filling, sanding and priming.  'Rinse and repeat.'

So I filled the large gaps between the air intakes and the fuselage with Evercoat Metal Polyester filler.  The great advantage with this filler over 2 part Bondo is it can easily be formed to shape with a hobby knife only after minutes and is fully sandable in 20 minutes.

For the sanding phase, depending on how much needs to be removed, I start with the lowest grit number, in this case I started with 80 grit in some tougher spots, then move up to 120, 150 and then 220.  Safety note, it is important to protect your lungs while sanding.  I do have a a heavy duty mask with replaceable cartridges but a standard dust mask works well.  Sanding is one of my least favourite parts of model building (or home repair for that matter) but it is what makes the difference between a hack job or fine results.

After 220, I will use a can of compressed air to remove any dust and then start wet sanding.  Wet sanding is exactly what it sounds like.  I will return to 220 sand paper, then move up to 320, 400 and finally 600 grit.  I like to put the model under running water when I wet sand as it's less messy but with electronics inside, I will periodically put the paper under running water and continue sanding/polishing in the sink.



This last picture shows the square tubing I used to add detail from the previous posting.


Once air dried, I put another coat of grey primer.  And behold, there are spots I still need to address and a few crumbs to remove.  That said, I'm much closer to painting this bird.

Stay tuned for a new build (hopefully done in time for Christmas) and a few older builds I've done over the year.

Happy modelling!




No comments:

Post a Comment