Saturday 13 December 2014

Columbia & Challenger...the NX-Class Sisters

Greetings!

So this is a simultaneous build.  In 2005 (I think) I purchased a 1/1000 scale Enterprise NX-01 kit, to go along with my partially built 1/350 NX-01 (which I will building in the new year).  I started this build on the little NX in 2010 when I got back in to model building which kinda got me going again.  More on that.  I've actually had a few start and stops over the years.  Well, I've been going strong since I heard the 1/350 USS Enterprise Original Series model was going to be released in 2012 and I'm always collecting both models and after market parts.  Since I'm working up to building this 'holy grail' of a model...I digress, Polar Lights 1/1000 NX-01 in 2010:



Not much to look at.  I like to layout parts I'm not familiar with.  (a TOS Enterprise I seem to know quite well by now...lol).  Back in 2010 the last grey parts got glued into the lower main hull but I did lose some parts over the last 4 years sadly.

When I heard a NX-01 Refit was being released in 1/1000 scale, I was eager and excited to get my hands on it.  Here's the 'out of the box' view:






I've since re-reviewed the preview of the original release of this kit in 2005, it was originally designed to be lighted (like the 1/350 kit) and the details, like the grid lines are sadly soft in the result.  The new model is identical with modifications to the moulds (not unlike the Excelsior vs. Enterprise-B) as the engine component is moulded separately and the the old stand is replaced with a standard Round 2 dome stand, which I prefer.  It's simple and it's sort of what most modellers do for a stand, using a rod instead of some elaborate stand structure.  I digress on that.

I wasn't a huge fan of this 'Enterprise' when it was first revealed as it looked like a retrograde version of a ship which appeared in Star Trek First Contact named 'Akira'.  Very cool ship, looks like it takes design elements from the 'Reliant' and the Enterprise-D.    That said, the ship and design has really grown on me, I appreciate it for what it is and there's been more thought to the layout of parts and systems than most Star Trek vessels, even those named 'Enterprise'...I leave that for another day...

A very cool design, this ship and shout out to it's designer, Doug Drexler, for making a very cool design.

MY BUILD

I'm going to finish my 2005 build as Columbia NX-02 as seen in Star Trek: Enterprise.  I've gone to the effort to recast new part I lost from 2010 using the new model, and using the new factory parts in the 2005/2010 build of 'Columbia'.



The NX-Refit will be named 'Challenger NX-03'.  This is based on a fan theory that the rest of the NX-Class starships will follow the naming pattern of the real life, now retired Space Shuttles.  Enterprise was the first orbiter, never went to space but was the test plane to test the re-entry procedures as well as boiler plate for the rocket configuration.  It was to be named 'Constitution' but a letter writing campaign in the 70s led to it being named Enterprise after the USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from 'Star Trek'.  The creators of Star Trek: Enterprise named the NX-02 after the Columbia tragedy in 2003.

Since I'm still working off instructions (many small pieces, although I usually figure out my own order) I have both instruction sheets taped up to my wall:


My first step was to lay out all of the parts on a separate build table.  Since the table is grey, I used some left over chroma green poster card stock so I can easily identify parts.

NX-02


NX-03-Refit


NX-02

So this build has been progressing on and off with work and my other '3-Space Ship Set'.  This model had a 'tripod' base of clear plastic on an outline made the model.  I decided to use a left-over Round 2 dome base and meant filling in the old holes.  I used sprue trees and red putty to fill them in.


(btw, the Rubbermaid bin behind does say 'Gene Simmons' - an old Halloween costume - KISS Alive! era styling...that's another story...)

Once I glued up the remaining parts from NX-03, I was finally able to close this model up.


Even with all of these clamps, the model did not want to stay together.  For the NX-03, I will be cutting off the tabs to make for an easier close.  That's the problem with the 'Snap-Together' kits, their pins use friction to stay together, that doesn't alway mean they fit well.  Both of these builds are 'Snap-It' kits.  Once together, I primed the main section.



Even still, the the main hull needed a lot more compression to make for a tight fit and reduce the appearance of gaps and seams.


Here is a first coat of the metallic silver paint:


NX-03

I started this build from the ground up which means I started building the secondary hull.  It's sorta funny, it goes together in a similar fashion to the original AMT USS Enterprise (I did a build-up on this as USS Defiant http://fordosmodels.blogspot.ca/2014/10/amtround-2-uss-defiant-as-seen-in.html).  For painting, I decided to paint it like a TOS Pilot model which means Ghost Light Gray for the hull and a blue neck.





Here is the NX-03 sitting next to an unfinished USS Intrepid-A (another build I started a few years ago but will highlight it when I've finished it.  Doing a full Aztec treatment, custom decals...will be a while before I tackle this one).


NACELLES AND PRE-PAINTING

The remaining parts are for the nacelles of both ships so I decided to pre-paint everything.  Most of these parts are add-on parts (no seams to be filled).





 For the nacelle grills I painted the back side with metallic silver (NX-02 already was tinted clear blue  years ago).  Here I mask off the various features.  NX-03 only has inboard grills.


The Bussard collectors got a treatment of silver backing clear red (painted 4 years ago).



And the reveal from the masking...


I glued up the nacelle halves together for NX-02.  I repainted both halves silver, like I did for the NX-03 nacelles in light gray.  There is a natural grid line which runs down the middle of it which makes for easy assembly (something going right for once :) ).  Here are the nacelles temporarily mounted on the rest of the starship (easy way of not loosing the parts for now)


That will do it for me for this entry, I hope you enjoyed it.  Next blog entry will be the 'Space Ship Set' part 2.  Should be easy, but putting back detail on fragile plastic doesn't always go well (sigh)...

Take care and happy model building!!

No comments:

Post a Comment